Repairs to your Home
From time to time, you will need repairs carried out to your home. Some repairs will be done by Tamil Housing, however, some are your responsibility.
The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, states the following are the responsibility of the Landlord where a Tenancy is granted:
- To keep in repair the structure and exterior of the home, including drains, gutters and external pipes;
- To keep in repair and proper working order of installations in the home for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but no other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity;
- To keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the home for space heating and heating water.
‘Keep in repair’ means that the landlord must keep up the standard of repair from the start of the tenancy. The landlord must also ensure that the premises are put into repair even if they were not in good repair at the start of the tenancy. ‘Repair’ does not include any duty to carry out improvements.
We expect all our residents to keep their home in a good condition and to treat them in a correct manner.
You must repair and make good any damage to your home caused by you, your family or any visitors. We may take action against you if you deliberately or recklessly cause damage to your home.
You must provide reasonable access to our staff and contractors, otherwise we may take tenancy enforcement action against you.
What happens when you report a repair?
When you report a repair; depending on the nature of the repair, a job reference number and /or the name of the contractor who will be attending to the work will be provided to you.
You will also receive an automated text message from Tamil Housing with a summary of the repair of which you have reported.
Appointments fall into two time periods:-
- Morning appointment which typically fall between 8.00 am-1.00 pm
- Afternoon appointment which fall between 1.00 pm-5.00 pm.
You can request for appointments to avoid school run periods, however, this is not always guaranteed.
Repairs fall into one of three categories; Emergency, Urgent and Routine repairs.
Emergency repairs, which we aim to carry out within 24 hours;
- Isolate and make safe gas leak where supply cut off does not control fault;
- Isolate and make safe burst pipes/tank;
- No mains water supply;
- No electrical supply or dangerous electrical installation;
- Back surge in sink/basin/WC pan/ bath;
- Extremely severe water penetration through roof;
- Damaged entrance door lock (where no other lock is provided)
- Broken/unusable WC pan if only WC in dwelling;
- Broken glass to front entrance door, ground floor windows or balcony level windows (board up only)
- Make safe after fire and structural damage likely to endanger life, limb or property;
- Other repair items which if not dealt with immediately would cause an immediate and acute health hazard.
If you experience a repair during Out of Hours (5.00 pm-9.00 am weekdays and anytime during weekends), then you must contact our Out of Hours emergency contractor ABC Building and Maintenance on 020 8961 7600. If the repair is during office hours, please contact Tamil Housing immediately on 0208 493 7160.
Please note; once an emergency repair has been reported, our contractors will do what they can to temporarily fix the issue. Contractors will get in contact with you if any follow on works are required.
Urgent repairs, which we aim to investigate and rectify within 5 working days;
- Repairs to heating systems and appliances (3 days in winter);
- Unblock hand wash basin, bath wastes and toilets (not back surge);
- No flush to WC (if only WC in dwelling);
- Most water leaks (except taps)
- Overflow running; repairs to lighting in communal areas;
- No hot/cold water;
- Blocked drains;
- Other repair items which cause extreme concern or discomfort to elderly or disabled tenant.
Routine repairs*, which we aim to investigate and rectify within 28 working days;
- Repairs to doors and windows;
- General roof repairs or patching;
- Repairs to plaster work;
- Damaged gutters and down pipes;
- General carpentry, brickwork and plumbing repairs;
- Glazing to dwellings.
*Most repairs fall into the routine category.
You can report your repairs by any of the following ways;
- Text REPAIR following brief description to 07984355550
- Email your repair to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and property address in the subject line
- Call Tamil Housing on 0208 493 7160 during office hours only (9.00 am – 5.00 pm Mon – Fri) and report any repair to a member of our staff